Sunday, March 8, 2009

Networking is FUN-damental

As you all know, I’m on a mission. Achieving success requires the assistance of others who support and uplift you. That’s when having or developing a sound network truly comes into play. I have attended a few events over the past couple weeks, primarily seminars on Business Development and Networking.

After attending a company event last month, the stars aligned and paired me a fantastic mentor who is introducing me to a variety of people within his network and expanding my presence.

Another person in my network introduced me to a business owner and after a brainstorming conference call with the company's President, I’m starting a side gig this week helping this educational products company grow sales and expand its marketing scope. Granted, it will be low/no pay initially, but I truly believe this concept will be a success and plan to give it my all.

Actually, I'm really starting to think small business consulting may just be my “IT”. I get so excited thinking of all the possibilities and ways to nurture and grow business ideas into successful ventures. I shared this with my career coach and even he could see/feel my energy!

I set up a meeting with a manager outside my group last week just to learn more about the department and ask his opinion on how to transition into another career. His advice was to build a resume of experiences through volunteer organizations which may be in need of the skillset I need exposure to. Not only is experience gained, but a network is also developed and having an alternate focus could help balance out the drudgery of your current work. So simple, oh so helpful and right on time since I already have my eye on a few local organizations I’ve been planning to join up with.

While out Friday night, I started up a conversation with a total stranger...turns out he runs a small side business, may need some additional help and wants to discuss further.

Do you see how powerful networking can be? I feel progress. Though I’m not sure how this will all pan out, I do know that I am taking steps toward what feels like the right direction.

I have a phone interview tomorrow for an interesting position, still relates to accounting but at a smaller organization in a different industry and more in alignment with my prior experience.

To all my fellow IT-Seekers out there, I know times are hard, but DO NOT give up. Keep your head up, meet new people, send an email to someone you haven’t connected with in a while, think of out of the box ways to achieve your goals and GO FOR IT!

Mission #1 - To stop complaining about my current job
Mission #2 - To believe in my abilities and take new challenges head on
Mission #3 - To not block my blessings...meet new people, offer my services, follow my instincts, make time for what makes me happy and focus on the positive (or at least focus less on the negative)

No comments:

Post a Comment