Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What can happen in 30 days?

I work...HARD

I work long hours, juggle multiple responsibilities, take it upon myself to develop process improvements, effectively manage others and try to create greater efficiencies. I teach what I know, document what I've learned and do my absolute best. However, trying to make the best of my current job situation, knowing whole-heartedly that it is a mismatched fit, has me constantly feeling drained, frustrated and full of self-doubt.

I am officially OVER IT! I think it happened around 5:41pm today at the meeting after a meeting relating to a meeting my manager scheduled with me to meet about tomorrow (ya get that?). The end of the meeting produced a larger to-do list than I already had for the next month. Why can't upper management see when they are burning out their staff? Why are they so quick to delegate without fully understanding (or maybe caring) what that work entails?

I'm done...done with the stress-induced head, back and stomache aches, useless meetings, outlandish workload, unreasonable management expectations and trying to pull together the invisible puzzle pieces. I literally sit at my desk, staring at the computer screen for moments at a time some days wondering "what in the world am I doing here?"

FIVE SIGNS OF JOB BURNOUT
I'm about a 3.5, how about you?

Yes, the pay and benefits are great, I am grateful to have the option of looking (though I do suspect cutbacks may occur soon), know the job market is not favorable and I realize this career search may be difficult, but I CAN and WILL claim a positive change right now. If that means a salary reduction, longer commute, going back to school or coming up with funds to run a small business, I am going to work it out because a change needs to happen..and SOON!

I'm giving myself a 30-day challenge...to network, research, apply, meet, discover, find, define and decide. What can happen in 30 days? What will happen? I'm excited to find out and look forward to sharing the journey with you.

No more teardrops while driving home from work. I AM smart, talented, professional, fun and fabulous! Claim your strengths loud and proud!!

Out with negativity, doubt and fear...
It's time to reclaim my life
Let the 30-day challenge begin!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, I needed to read that. I am very unhappy at work and thought the job itself is a fit, the organization as a whole is not.

    I am in the process of a job search now. You might want to try a job placement agency. They don't all cost you money and it's easier to have them look for a job while you are busy with your current position.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl, thanks for your comment. It's hard trying to balance a frustrating workplace and not let it spill into your family/personal life. As long as we keep taking steps forward, we will be closer to finding something better suited. I've spoken with a couple recruiters but really want to do some soul-searching and figure out the best move first. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete